We are a Singaporean-Straits-Chinese family, cozying between California and our native island Singapore! We recreate heritage recipes passed between family, friends and generations, and some of our own. Our flavors are mostly South-East Asian. Our recipes are easy to follow and we use only the basic utensils. Nothing fancy, just good food.
Recipe by Ginger and Cilantro
Healthy Meat Sauce and Whole Wheat Spaghetti
Healthy recipe with a secret everyday ingredient. Ideal for cold evenings and hungry stomachs. This recipe can be easily halved or doubled, and the sauce freezes well.
- Whole wheat spaghetti
- 900 g lean ground beef
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 230 g tomato paste
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 whole garlic minced
- 1 bunch fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 bunch parsley chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 tbsp oregano chopped
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to its instructions, adding some salt to the water. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 3 tbsp of oil. Add ground beef, breaking it up to prevent clumps. When it is no longer pink, remove from the pot, set aside and drain the grease, leaving 2 tbsp in the pot.
- Caramelize onions in the leftover grease and add peppers. Cook until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir well and turn up heat till sauce just starts to boil and return heat to medium high.
- Add basil, parsley, oregano, peanut butter, sugar and salt/pepper to taste. Continue to stir for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and bay leaves. Cook for 2 minutes, allowing flavours to meld together. Add chopped parsley and cook for another minute. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti. Top with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan (not shown).
For something spicy, add 2 tsp cayenne pepper in Step 5. Peanut butter adds a very subtle, mysterious and unexpected taste. Very unique! (adapted from The Pioneer Woman’s Spaghetti Sauce)