A healthy vegetarian and gluten-free soup that can be prepared in advance and keeps well. For vegan diets, substitute milk for almond or cashew milk. You can make this Homemade Mushroom soup recipe in 1 hour and enjoy it with a piece of toasted bread (gluten free or otherwise!).
Homemade Mushroom Soup
- 1 large white onion diced
- 10 oz white button mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz brown cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2-3 medium portobello mushrooms sliced
- 3 Tbsp dried thyme ~8 Tbsp fresh thyme, taste accordingly
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup milk 2% milk if prefer a lighter soup
- 2 dried bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pot, add a pinch of salt and onions and sweat the onions till they begin to soften.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil. When oil is heated, add mushrooms. Lower heat to medium and cook till mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme and continue cooking on medium heat till mushrooms appear to have shrunk to half the original size.
- Add bay leaves and broth (reserving ½ cup) and bring to a boil.
- Dissolve corn starch in remaining broth and stir into the pot.
- Add milk and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
For vegan diets, substitute dairy milk for almond or cashew milk.
YoRipe has over 1800+ Asian and Western Cooking Inspirations|Easy-to-Find Recipes |Cooking Videos|Smart Grocery List